Talk on linking sustainability assessment data to semantic web and linked open data

Agneta

Title - Modelling LCA data on the semantic web

Abstract-  The use of Semantic Web and linked data increases the possibility of data accessibility, interpretability and interoperability. It supports cross-domain data and knowledge sharing and avoids the creation of research data silos. Widely adopted in several research domains, the use of the semantic web has been relatively limited with respect to sustainability assessments. A primary barrier is that the framework of the principles and technologies required to link and query data from the semantic web is often beyond the scope of industrial ecologists. Linking of a dataset to semantic web requires the development of a semantically linked core ontology in addition to the use of existing ontologies. Ontologies provide logical meaning to the data and the possibility to develop machine-readable data format. To enable and support the uptake of semantic ontologies, I will present a core ontology developed in collaboration with members on Big Open Network for Sustainability Assessment Information (BONSAI). The ontology was developed specifically to capture the data relevant for life cycle sustainability assessment.  We further demonstrate the utility of the ontology by using it to integrate data relevant to sustainability assessments such as, Exiobase and the Yale Stocks and Flow Database to the semantic web. These datasets can be accessed by the machine-readable endpoint using SPARQL – semantic query language. In this talk I will present the basic framework necessary to enhance the use of semantic web with respect to sustainability assessments. I will also like to share some perspectives on the challenges towards the adoption of semantic web technologies and possible solutions that can address these challenges.

Author bio: Agneta Ghose, Post Doc, Danish Centre for Environmental Assessment (DCEA), Aalborg University, Denmark.

This work is not related to the use of brightway but more on the use and availability of open data. I hope the participants of this conference find it interesting.

Best regards
Agneta